Sunday, 27 November 2016

Poetry Alive and Well In Gore

Monday 28th November, 2016


roadside photo taken between Clinton and Gore, Southland, New Zealand ...



It was satisfying for me (the K of J&K Rolling) to visit my aunty in Gore recently and catch up with her news of the poetry group established there after a visit by J&K Rolling one National Poetry Day at the Gore Library a couple of years back.


... minutes, advertising not one, but two Dunedin poetry competitions for Gore people to enter ... with Poems in the Waiting Room competition on the second page ...

This is what J&K's Outrider poetry is all about. Discovering the poetry alive and well in rural, outlying areas.



My aunty is a member of the group and I was thrilled to read one of her poems she'd recently penned.

What a useful outlet this group is for her interest in written expression and in recording her personal history. She said that no matter the subject selected as a writing exercise, she finds herself delving into her memory banks. It is a pretty rich memory bank too, being in existence for over 80 years now.

 I won't publish the poem she wrote just now (but watch this space because I am champing at the bit to post it at the next possible opportunity, I loved it so much).

I'm not posting it because she may (I really hope she does!) enter it into this competition that the Gore library is promoting.



Pleasing for me personally to have this fusion of poetry happening in Gore - Poems in the Waiting Room (of which I am a Trust Member) and J&K Rolling; both giving poetry a plug in Gore. And I mustn't forget the staff at Gore Library and their marvellous support of poetry.